The Philippine Navy accuses Beijing of "coercive and aggressive" maneuvers in the South China Sea

According to reports from the Manila army, on August 8 two Chinese Air Force planes carried out a "dangerous maneuver" and launched flares into the path of a turboprop

© Agenzia Nova - Reproduction reserved

The Philippine Navy called maneuvers carried out by China's air force last week near a disputed shoal in the South China Sea "coercive, aggressive and deceptive." This was reported by the newspaper "The Straits Times". Speaking at a press conference, Rear Admiral Roy Vincent Trinidad said Chinese maneuvers “are senseless” in the international arena, warning that such moves increase the risk of untoward incidents in the region. According to reports from the Manila military, on August 8, two Chinese Air Force planes carried out a "dangerous maneuver" and fired flares into the path of a Philippine Air Force turboprop over Scarborough Shoal. Manila, which announced its intention to forward a diplomatic protest to Beijing, said that China's actions had endangered the lives of its crew, but that the patrol plane returned safely to base.


The maneuvers of the Chinese Air Force were also strongly contested by President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., who denounced "illegal and reckless" actions. The Chinese actions were "unjustified, illegal and reckless, especially since the PAF (Philippine Air Force) aircraft was carrying out a routine maritime security operation in Philippine sovereign airspace," Marcos said in a statement , in which he said he was “concerned about possible instability in our airspace.” China, for its part, defended the operations by saying it had "organised naval and air forces to legally remove" the Philippine plane, following "repeated warnings".

“We sternly warn the Philippines to immediately stop violations, provocations, distortions and exaggerations,” reads a note from the Southern Theater Command of the People's Liberation Army, which reiterates that “China has indisputable sovereignty over the Huangyan Island (where Scarborough Shoal is located) and adjacent waters." The incident follows a series of increasingly tense clashes between Manila and Beijing, which claims most of the South China Sea and seized the shoal after a standoff with the Philippines in 2012. In June the Philippine military said that one of its sailors lost a thumb in a collision off the Second Thomas Shoal in another area of ​​the South China Sea, when the Chinese coast guard also confiscated or destroyed Philippine equipment, including some weapons.

Beijing, for its part, blames the escalation on Manila and maintains that its actions to protect its claims are legal and proportionate. After the second clash in Second Thomas Shoal, the two countries agreed on an “interim agreement” to resupply Philippine troops aboard a warship stranded on the reef and also to increase the number of communication lines to resolve disputes in the maritime area. The Scarborough shoal is at the center of a dispute between China, Taiwan and the Philippines. It is located 240 kilometers west of the island of Luzon, the largest in the Philippines, and almost nine hundred kilometers from the Chinese island province of Hainan. Last September, China installed a three hundred meter long floating barrier at its entrance, with the aim of preventing access to Philippine fishing boats.

The structure was subsequently removed by Manila authorities, who reported violations of the ruling issued in 2016 by the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague. The court verdict, called "waste paper" by China, disputes its territorial claims in the South China Sea and says Beijing has no "historical rights" to the waters in question. In May, the Philippines accused Chinese fishermen of destroying Scarborough's ecological environment through cyanide fishing, harvesting giant clams and devastating coral reefs. Two months later China strongly denied the allegations. Based on analyzes conducted by government institutes and research centers nationwide, Beijing stated that the waters around the shoal have low levels of heavy metals, pollutants and hydrocarbons, which overall provide "excellent environmental quality". .

Read also other news on Nova News

Click here and receive updates on WhatsApp

Follow us on the social channels of Nova News on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Telegram

© Agenzia Nova - Reproduction reserved

CORRELATED ARTICLES

Latest news

Calin_Georgescu

Georgescu denounces “coup d’état” after Romanian presidential election annulled

"The Court's decision, motivated by alleged Russian interference in the election campaign, is an expression of dictatorship"

At the trilateral Elysée Macron-Trump-Zelensky

The president-elect has repeatedly stated that he intends to strongly distance himself from the policy of massive support for Kiev.
Israeli hostage Matan Zangauker

Hamas releases video of hostage Matan Zangauker, the 25-year-old Israeli kidnapped on October 7, 2023

His partner, Ilana Gritzewsky, was released in a deal with the Palestinian Islamist movement in November 2023.

Syria: NGOs, “rebels” conquer important Assad forces base north of Homs

The base includes a huge military arsenal with equipment, vehicles and ammunition depots

Other news

Christmas: between lights, colors and tradition, the market in Piazza Navona in Rome has been inaugurated

A celebration of lights, colors and traditions was inaugurated this morning in Piazza Navona in Rome, the square that will also be one of the ...

Trump: “The Situation in Syria is Disastrous but This Is Not Our Fight”

The president-elect warned that the situation in Damascus could worsen and that Russia is not in a position to intervene

Folgiero: “The Trieste ship is a symbol of an Italy that unites vision, competence and ability”

The President of the Republic Sergio Mattarella also took part in the delivery ceremony to the Italian Navy which took place today in Livorno

Tajani: “The situation of our compatriots in Syria is absolutely under control”

"The first concern of Italy and the government is to protect the safety of the 300 fellow citizens who live in the country"

Meloni: “847 thousand new jobs in two years, Italy is on the right track”

"Numbers that push us to continue working with determination to create further opportunities"