The Israeli army has called on Palestinians to leave the Gaza Strip through the Rafah crossing on the border with Egypt. Colonel Richard Hecht declared this to journalists. “The Rafah crossing is still open. Anyone who can come out, I advise them to do so,” the officer said. In recent days, he had been the Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, to suggest that the Palestinians leave Gaza.
The announcement comes as the bombing of Gaza by the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) against targets of Palestinian armed groups is underway for the fourth consecutive day. Hamas e Islamic Jihad. The latter infiltrated an unknown number of commandos on Saturday 7 October and wreaked havoc in southern Israel. So far the deaths on the Israeli side are over 900.
The invitation to leave Gaza aimed at civilians suggests that there will be a large-scale offensive by Israel and a ground operation is not ruled out. It should be noted that sources in Cairo report that the Rafah crossing is closed. For their part, the Egyptian authorities have warned Israel against causing the Palestinians to flee from Gaza towards their borders. Egypt "has not hesitated in the face of the deterioration of the situation in the occupied territories" and has intensified contacts with all active players in the international community to stop the escalation and "spare the blood of the Palestinian people", Egyptian sources said, adding that Cairo warned everyone of the gravity of the situation and its repercussions on the principles of the Palestinian question.